To be an effective advocate for your child in the classroom, having knowledge of the regulations, policies, and laws that support your child’s right to a free and appropriate education is critical.
Below, you will find resources created to help you better understand Special Education Law, as well as links to additional resources.
You may find the links below to helpful in your search for information about this topic. To view the links under a topic, click the plus sign (+) on the right to open the full list. The links will open in a new window.
- Parents Rights in Special Education
- Kansas Special Education Process Handbook
- Notice of Meeting and Prior Written Notice Sample Forms
- Revocation of Consent – Particular Services
- Revocation of Consent – All Services
- Regular Education Preschool Teacher at the IEP/IFSP Meeting
- Special Education Notices and Forms
Kansas State Department of Education (KSDE) Resources for Families & Educators
Free Appropriate Public Education (FAPE)
Individualized Education Program (IEP)
- Dispute Resolution – Mediation, Formal Complaint and Due Process
- Center for Appropriate Dispute Resolution in Special Education (CADRE)
- Working Together Series
Children in Foster Care
- Diploma for Students in Custody of KDOC and DCF (SB23) Fact Sheet (KSDE)
- Students with Disabilities in Foster Care Fact Sheet (KSDE)
Still have questions?
We are here to help.
Our services are free to families that include a child or youth with learning, behavioral, and/or health challenges. Our staff are also parents or family members of children with disabilities and/or special health care needs, so we understand that the process can be overwhelming and confusing at times.