How can Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) help with my child’s transition? What services does VR provide?

PDF Version: How Can Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) Help with My Child’s Transition?

PDF Version: Full Guide of all 30+ Flyers (Compiled as a Booklet)

Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) can provide many services and supports to help qualified students with disabilities move to adult life. In Kansas VR is called Kansas Rehabilitation Services. It is located within the Department for Children and Families. VR can pay for things like college, technical training, getting a job, new job skills, work-related items – such as tools, clothing, assistive technology … and so much more.

Your IEP Team must refer students to VR for services. It is VERY important that you and your family follow up on this referral and apply for VR services. Too often students and parents do not follow up with VR. That means they lose out on the getting VR’s great services, such as paying for college, training, or many other needed supports and services. An individual can also self-refer at anytime in the future if services are needed.

Contact the Kansas VR program in your region or call your local Department of Children & Families office to apply for VR. Find your local VR office here. 

The iTransition app is a resource that can be used alongside VR. iTransition is a free, user-friendly, web and device-based app that empowers students to have a successful school to adult life transition. It’s an easy way for students with disabilities to play an active role in their transition plan. The student simply uses the app to answer a handful of questions about their goals. Takes only 5-10 minutes. The app then outputs a draft transition plan you take to your IEP team. You get a customized, comprehensive, downloadable document to help with your transition to adult life. Try it out!

Sources & Additional Resources:

Transitioning from high school as a student with a disability. Disability Rights Center of Kansas & Families Together, Inc.

Disclaimer: This fact sheet is not intended to provide specific legal advice. If you need legal advice, please contact an attorney. Only an attorney can give you specific legal advice based on your particular situation. We try to update our materials regularly, but the law can change frequently. This publication is based on the law at the time that it was written. Future changes in the law could make information in this fact sheet inaccurate.