How do I transfer my child to a new school with an IEP?

PDF Version: How do I transfer my child to a new school with an IEP?

PDF Version: Full Guide of all 30+ Flyers (Compiled as a Booklet)

The new school needs to try to get your child’s records from the school your child is coming from. You don’t need to sign anything for the old school to send the records to the new school. It helps if you get a copy of your child’s current IEP (Individualized Education Program) and give it to the new school.

The new school needs to provide FAPE (Free Appropriate Public Education) to your child. The special education services that they give your child need to be similar or the same as what your child received in their old school. The school will use the IEP from your child’s old school until they have a meeting with you and get a new IEP in place.

What if I am moving to Kansas from a different state?

The new school can either use your child’s old IEP or they can start a new process. This process includes an initial evaluation to decide if your child is still eligible for special education services. You have to give written permission for this evaluation. If your child is eligible for services, then the new IEP is put in place. The IEP Team will create the new IEP. You and your child are key members of the IEP Team.

See more on IEPs here:

What is an IEP?

What should an IEP include?

What if I don’t agree with the services that the new school wants to provide?

First, try to talk with the IEP team. Remember, you and your child are key members of the team. Let them know about the services provided at your old school and why those services are needed. The fact that those services worked before is a strong reason to keep them. If that doesn’t work, you could use mediation. You can also file for due process.

Sources & Additional Resources:

Kansas Special Education Process Handbook. Kansas State Department of Education.

Disclaimer: This fact sheet is not intended to provide specific legal advice. If you need legal advice, please contact an attorney. Only an attorney can give you specific legal advice based on your particular situation. We try to update our materials regularly, but the law can change frequently. This publication is based on the law at the time that it was written. Future changes in the law could make information in this fact sheet inaccurate.